[Sigia-l] Issues in the taxonomy of human experience

Skot Nelson skot at penguinstorm.com
Tue Aug 23 23:36:12 EDT 2005

On Aug-23-2005, at 10:23 AM, Thomas Quine wrote:

> Skot Nelson:
>

>> google is probably the biggest threat to your privacy that exists at
>> this point.
>
> Google is out there doing no evil, but don't forget the American
> government...

right. but the definition of evil is fluid. there are many people who
feel the US government is simply defending its citizens rights.

similarly, many think google is doing no evil while others are
horrified by the content sensitive ads that appear beside your gmail
messages. google is searching the content of messages to deliver ads.

the great unknown of google - and it is BIG - is what market foces
will push it to do. google is a public company now, with greater
emphasis on profit than ever before and a large number of
shareholders to answer too.

> I'm proceeding on the assumption that every word I write, every
> keystroke, is public knowledge, and that every move I make is on
> camera.
> Get over it and get on with it. Resistance is futile.

"You have zero privacy. Get over it."
Retrieved from "http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Scott_McNealy"

this was the truest statement ever spoken by a ceo, i believe.

> Did you read about the new wearable videocam? It records your life on
> the Internet. (http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,
> 111236,00.asp).
> "Little Brother" is watching you!

sure. others have been working on similar things for a while, and the
idea of being observed all the time has been studied. steve mann has
been a leader in this field.

and steve has demonstrated something interesting: the perception of
being observed has as much, if not more, effect as actually being
observed.

our translink organization is making me chuckle with the great debate
about the cost of cameras in every bus. there's an easy way to cut
this cost, and probably achieve the same (arguably noble) goal of
public safety: only put cameras in half the buses, and put identical
dummies in the rest.

the people on the dummy buses are liable to behave just as well as
the ones on the actual ones - and the budget gets slashed.