[Sigia-l] Next article in Opinion (10 of 14)

Jared M. Spool jspool at uie.com
Wed Aug 17 07:13:11 EDT 2005

At 10:16 PM 8/16/2005, Listera wrote:
>Are you happier with the C|Net "semi-opaque sectional navigation" example I
>gave? <http://tinyurl.com/7kz23>

[I'm assuming this was a serious question. Can't completely tell in this
thread.]

It's interesting. The text is better than "10 of 14", certainly, with words
like "Graphical Plans at Microsoft" and "Indie Studio takes Wing". Because
they are headlines, they run the risk that a lot of news sites run -- the
text is less informative and more "catchy", thereby not communicating as
much scent as they could. I wonder if these links communicate the best
trigger words for their content.

The images, for the most part, don't seem to communicate anything about
what the story is about, so they feel ornamental to me. (Ornamental is one
type of graphic. Two other types are Navigational -- an image that
communicates scent -- and Content -- an image that communicates
information.)  Our studies consistently show that ornamental graphics don't
add any real value (either for performance measures or subjective ratings),
but do increase development time. Could you get the same value from the
links with just a text-based presentation?

The fact that the reader needs to use the little scrolling controls to see
the other articles is problematic. I actually never noticed this element
before until you pointed it out (and I probably visit the site 3-4 times
per week). Our studies show that, on a site like this, most users keep
their mouse on the scroll bar (or, when using a scroll wheel, keep the
mouse still) until *after* they've decided what they are going to click on.
( http://www.uie.com/articles/users_decide_first/ ) I wonder if this
presentation performs better than "The Pulse" presentation of links in the
right column.

I'm also intrigued that the image is placed in the middle of the article,
instead of at the end. If the reader is not done reading, will they be
distracted by the article? Would it work better for most users if it was
placed *after* the text? The question I have is where is the best placement
for this, from a seducible moment perspective. (
http://www.uie.com/articles/seductive_design/ )

So, to summarize my answer to your question:

Pros: More useful text, potentially useful graphics
Cons: Graphics could be a lot of work, not necessarily placed in layout
well, must use mouse to see links, trigger words may still be missing

I'd love to test it to see how it performs. (But, I bet you guessed that.)

Jared

Jared M. Spool, User Interface Engineering
http://www.uie.com    jspool at uie.com    blog: http://uie.com/brainsparks

UI10 Spotlight Presenter: Flow author Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi
October 10-13, Cambridge MA. See details at http://www.uiconf.com