[Sigia-l] Intelligent signs at Microsoft

Listera listera at rcn.com
Tue Aug 16 15:12:50 EDT 2005

Terrence Wood:

> Flex is completely different - it has an IDE built upon a programming
> language (actionscript, I believe)  where UI elements (components) are
> surrogates for code blocks.

Terrence, you insist on not looking at source material I suggest and making
statements that bear no resemblance to reality. For instance, Flex *Builder*
is a modified version of Dreamweaver (used to be called Brady). It's not
built upon ActionScript. It generates MXML declarative markup, where UI
elements are decidedly not surrogates for code blocks. You can generate the
same in Notepad or any text editor. Indeed, MM is embracing Eclipse as an
IDE and building its next version of MXML generation tool as a plug-in to
it.

The notion of declarative markup is an extremely interesting, powerful and
relevant development that all IAs and designers should get familiar with.
But you can't do it without familiarizing yourself with some of the relevant
info out there.

Ziya
Nullius in Verba