[Sigia-l] length of nav labels

Listera listera at rcn.com
Tue Aug 9 20:43:17 EDT 2005

Jared M. Spool:

> Yah, I do. 7-12 words is what users need to ensure *their* trigger words
> (not the *designer's* trigger words) are visible.

Interesting. So somehow the designer is incapable of understanding what
users would need or unwilling to find out? Is there more literature on how
the designer is pitted against the user? :-)

> Instead, notice how we've managed to get several lines of text for each
> navigation element. With clever design, you can do all sorts of things.

If and when context makes it necessary, not because you can. For instance,
these don't need further explanation and the additional copy hardly adds
more contextual insight:

About Us
Services
Events
Publications
Participate in a Test

Among the things to consider, for example, is the amount of white space and
the info density, which, depending on context, could easily trump additional
verbiage on a given page.

> Here, we have 5 links (13 words). They all work together.

Yes, but out-of-context. If you had more 'related' words, they might work
even better together. Then comes the kitchen sink or <http://www.bls.gov/>.

> http://www.staples.com

You're offering these as good interface design?

> http://www.mcmaster-carr.com (My all-time favorite. This site tests
> tremendously well with its users and most designers HATE it. I mean,
> visceral, OH-MY-GOD "How could anyone use it" hate it. Yet the users just
> love it, usability tests rock, and site revenues are great.)

Let me ask you this: is vanilla ice cream better?

Ziya
Nullius in Verba