[Sigia-l] RE: Function Facet?

dbedford at worldbank.org dbedford at worldbank.org
Thu Apr 28 17:07:36 EDT 2005

Naomi,

We have developed a business function classification scheme and are in the
process of elaborating our business function controlled vocabularies.  It is
entirely possible to do this.   And, you should be able to find a good starting
points for the baseline class scheme in your accounting system and your archives
schedules.   We have implemented the business function classification scheme in
our Unified Case Management (Q&A and request tracking) system.   We also have a
separate and distinct Topic classification scheme which is subject-domain
oriented.  Both Topic and Business Function are core metadata attributes.   The
business function scheme is the controlling reference source.   And, business
keywords are used for indexing, as well as topical keywords.   I'd be happy to
talk with you about how we approached this.   It is very important to work with
the business process owners when you develop this kind of scheme.

Best regards,
Denise

                      "Daniel, Naomi E"
                      <naomi.daniel at hp.        To:       <sigia-l at asis.org>
                      com>                     cc:
                      Sent by:                 Subject:  [Sigia-l] RE: Function Facet?
                      sigia-l-bounces at a
                      sis.org

                      04/28/2005 04:34
                      PM

I am wondering if anyone has seen an implementation of a Function
controlled vocabulary.  Specifically, I'm wondering whether it might be
useful/possible to organize enterprise content using a functional, or
business process-based, CV, rather than by a subject CV.

I have found one case study for this approach in the Library & Archives
Canada, where they state: "Although it is still common practice to
classify records according to their subject content, current best
practices of experts around the world base classification on a rigorous
analysis of business functions and activities."
<http://www.collectionscanada.ca/information-management/0630_e.html#home
page>

However, I haven't found anything else regarding a function-based CV
approach.  I'm trying to determine whether this really is an accepted
best practice, and understand when it would be appropriate to use a
Function CV versus a Subject or Organization CV.  Any insights into this
area would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Naomi
Naomi Daniel