[Sigia-l] Taxonomists vs. information architects

kate.simpson at freshfields.com kate.simpson at freshfields.com
Fri Apr 22 06:17:41 EDT 2005

Denise Bedford:
>" The future (and not too distant) lies in our ability to leverage
>different kinds of taxonomies as enterprise architecture components to
data
>drive content to different views, portals and the more traditional
website
>architecture. "

I can second Denise's experience.
I currently find myself working for an international law firm where good
organisation of the underlying structure of information has become a key
strategy as we build the new know-how system. The need to integrate the
various systems across the firm in order to share and re-use information
(and with better results) will involve standardisation of information
architecture components such as field labels, values and taxonomies etc.
Understanding these and how they interact, on top of how they are
applied to a user interface or workflow, are major elements of my role
as information architect. I'd be interested to hear from any taxonomists
on this list about where their job with organising information starts
and ends - perhaps a fundamental part of my initial work here is in fact
that of a taxonomist?

Kate

Kate Simpson
Information Architect
Knowledge Management
kate.simpson at freshfields.com

Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer
65 Fleet Street
London
EC4Y 1HS

Direct: +44 20 7785 2881
Fax: +44 20 7832 7001

This e-mail is confidential and may well also be legally privileged. If you have received it in error, you are on notice of its status.  Please notify us immediately by reply e-mail and then delete this message from your system.  Please do not copy it or use it for any purposes, or disclose its contents to any other person:  to do so could be a breach of confidence.  Thank you for your co-operation.  Please contact our IT Helpdesk on +44 (0) 20 7936 4000 Ext.2000 or email ITHelp at freshfields.com if you need assistance.