[Sigia-l] 1 > 3?

Listera listera at rcn.com
Thu Apr 21 16:14:22 EDT 2005

Terence Nelan:

> One place where I think it can be great to create more than one option
> is internally.

Because the actual costs can be buried in inter-departmental cost accounting
voodoo? :-)

On more than one occasion I had multiple teams creating variations, without
talking to each other about what they are doing. This is a not-so-uncommon
practice in the advertising world where clients have been "trained" to
expect multiple options through decades of (what's essentially) "freebies".

But you're right about the internal variations approach. I often do a "what
would be the wrong way to do this" variation for myself which the client
never sees. However, I almost always do a client presentation at the end of
a project just going over a few dead-ends we could easily have taken but
never did. It puts the final result in perspective.

Ziya
Nullius in Verba