[Sigia-l] is it just me, or is it really hard to find IAs right now?

Dave dheller at gmail.com
Sun Apr 3 07:16:12 EDT 2005

thomas makes some great points below, but I came up w/ this question:

If Jonathan Ive left Apple after the first iMac would Apple be where
it is today?

As someone who has been an "innie" most recently, I really struggle
with this. Real design is iterative, not just during the project, but
between projects. The first task is to create that roadmap and stick
to it (iterating on it, evolving it), but contract for hire work makes
that really difficult to do, b/c the vision moves along quickly.

I have noticed that (and this is just anectdotal) that people don't
"flip" jobs as often when they are working for companies that seem to
"get" design, or at least invest in it.

Agency or contract for hire work are the same in that you barely ever
get to do 2.0, and many times to reduce costs you never even stick
around through and past implementation of 1.0.

I'm not saying there is no reason for contract work, but I don't see
the solution to flipping being "make flipping work" ... I see it more
as reduce the need/desire to flip AND make flipping work. 8-)

-- dave

--
David Heller
E: dheller (at) gmail (dot) com