[Sigia-l] Question about the use of the term 'ontology'

Alexander Johannesen alexander.johannesen at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 03:29:20 EST 2005

Me:

Lars Marius Garshol <larsga at garshol.priv.no> wrote:
> Mmmmm, I don't quite agree with that. "Ontology" is quite a broad
> term, and it encompasses a large set of diverse things, so I think
> saying (as my taxonomy did) that topic maps are a kind of ontology,
> and that ontologies are one structure that can be used for subject-
> based classification is entirely fair.

Ok, so since "ontology" can encompass pretty much anythig you want,
Topic Maps will fit into that. I agree. :) Hmm, 'ontology' doesn't
mean much without constraints really, does it? It all comes down to
how everybody defines the word and it what context they use it. Too
diluted for general chit-chat, I feel. :)

Alex
--
"Ultimately, all things are known because you want to believe you know."
                                                         - Frank Herbert