[Sigia-l] Tilde for synonym search in Google

Your Name vcr at knowledgengineer.com
Thu Sep 2 18:50:13 EDT 2004

The way that the hit count numbers are calculated gives the impression
that a search for 'odor' retrieves more hits than a search
for '~odor.' The hit counts become more accurate with smaller search
results sets, and that's why limiting the search produces better
looking numbers. For example ~odor site:yahoo.com gives "about
42,900." Compare that to odor site:yahoo.com, which gives "about
15,500."
-- Ginny Risk