[Sigia-l] RE: Accessibility guidelines in Great Britain

Peter Boersma peter.boersma at ezgov.com
Thu Sep 2 13:12:37 EDT 2004

Katrin Gehrke <Katrin.Gehrke at proximity.de> wrote:
> We are checking the current law regarding accessibility in Great Britain.
[snip]
> Now my question: What exactly are "reasonable adjustments" in regard to
> web sites?

There's a good article on this exact subject on Out-Law.com (www.outlaw.com)
called "Disabled access to web sites under UK law". You need to register
(for free) to see the article. Some quotes:

"To be safe, your site should satisfy Priority 1 (or Level A). Although
there is no relevant case law on the UK Act, a case was brought in Australia
which did refer to the W3C conformance levels. This case was based on an
Australian law which is very similar to the UK law, so a UK court might be
persuaded to follow it."

"The consensus is that we will soon see a [..] case against a [..] company.
Accordingly, you should make sure your site complies at least with Level A
of the W3C’s WAI guidelines."

Read the article and, for details, contact Struan Roberton (see contacts
section). He gave a presentation about the subject at a presentation of the
so-called DRC findings (www.drc-gb.org/), organized by Bunnyfoot
(www.bunnyfoot.com) in May of this year.

Peter
--
Peter Boersma - Senior Information Architect - EzGov
Rijnsburgstraat 11 - 1059AT Amsterdam - The Netherlands