[Sigia-l] RE: Online Product Selectors

Rodwick, Michaela michaela.rodwick at attws.com
Thu Oct 21 14:15:02 EDT 2004

Hi Mitchell,

I've compiled a list of many different kinds of configurators on the web
for a project I worked on earlier this year. I can't claim they all
exhibit best practices, but there are many impressive examples.

"Find the X for You" examples:

1. T-Mobile (in German)
<http://www.t-mobile.de/handyfinder/1,5156,,00.html>

2. Vodafone - mobile phone finder (in German)
<http://213.144.21.57/handyfinder.html>

3. ePlus - mobile phone finder (in German)
<http://www.eplus.de/handys/4/4_0/4_0_konfigurator.asp>

4. Tractor Supply Company - find the best riding mower for you
<http://www.mytscstore.com/detail.asp?pcID=5&LearnID=38>

5. Iokio - digital camera finder
http://www.iokio.biz/demos/camerafinder/

"Build/Design Your Own X" examples:

6. Monopoly - Build your own Monopoly game board (requires registration)

<http://uk.mymonopoly.com>

7. Sony Wega - design your home theatre
<http://www.sony.com.hk/Electronics/theatre/>

8. Moen - design your own kitchen, spa, bath, faucet
<http://www.moen.com/Consumer/Products/DYO/index.cfm>

9.  Pergo - Design wall, floor and cabinets
<http://www.pergo.com/PergoDesign/US/US_Room_View/1,1033,USA,00.html>

10. Ready-To-Bed - make your bed with sheets, duvet, etc.
<http://www.readytobed.com/configurator/makebed.html>

11. L.L. Bean - design your perfect bedding color combinations
<http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?categor
yId=3071&catalogId=1&storeId=1&feat=ln>

12.  Simmons -  Design a bed
<http://www.simmons.com/designBed/default.cfm>

13. CedarWorks Playsets - Build your own backyard playset
<http://www.cedarworks.com/cedardesigner/index.php>

14. Trek Bikes - Build your own race, mountain or combo bike
 <http://projectone.trekbikes.com/index.asp>

15. Pearl Drum Corporation - Build (and play) your dream drum kit
<http://www.pearldrum.com/dreamkit/>

16. Volkswagon - Design your own
<http://www.vwasia.com/start/visualiser/index.jsp>  -

17. Mini USA - Build your own
<http://www.miniusa.com/crm/load_mini.jsp>

18.  Jag X-Type - choose colors, trim and wheels
<http://www.jaguar.com.au/xtype/control.cfm?page=colour&pageID=15&menuca
t=5.15&Level=2>

19. Hummer <http://www.hummer.com/hummerjsp/h2/build/index.jsp>   -
Build and price your own Hummer SUV

20. FootJoy "MyJoys" Customizer  - make your own golf shoes
<http://www.footjoy.com/myjoys/Default.asp?bhcp=1>

21. Timbuk2 Bags - Build your own
<http://www.timbuk2.com/byob/byob.html>

22.  Yankee Candle Configurator - choose from 6 different types
<http://www.yankeecandle.com/cgi-bin/ycbvp/cfg_index.jsp>

Room Planner Examples

23.  Jordan's Furniture  - arrange your new furniture before you take it
home
<http://www.jordans.com/roomplanner.asp>

24. Better Homes & Gardens - Arrange a room
<http://www.bhg.com/bhg/file.jhtml?item=/dswmedia/index&temp=yes>

25. Bose - Room Planner
<https://secure-www2.bose.com/soundadvisor/default.asp?pers_from=sa_home

26. Panasonic UK  - Build Home Cinema System then view it in 3D
<http://www.panasonic.co.uk/my-cinema-at-home/showroom.asp>

27. Knoll A3 Office System - components or planning then click "launch"
<http://www.knoll.com/a3i/launch_flash.html>

28. Tool Dock - Design your work shop
<http://www.tooldock.com/designyourshop.asp>

29.  Doar Court Room Configurator  - Upper right hand link (registration
required)
<http://www.doar.com/>

Other

30.  American Airlines - maximize your frequent flyer miles
 <http://www.mileagemaximizer.com/index.htm>  -

31. Roux Virtual Salon - pick your hair style and color
<http://rouxblue.com/select_model.asp>

31. Turner Classic Movies -  Customize your viewing schedule
<http://turnerclassicmovies.com/Schedule/Custom>

Best,
Michaela L. Rodwick
Interaction Designer