[Sigia-l] Google desktop search now available

Anders Ramsay andersr at gmail.com
Fri Oct 15 13:35:45 EDT 2004

I have been using it for a couple days, and so far I am very impressed
(as opposed to my experience with other attempts at this, such as
blinkx)

The ranking algorithm must, of course, be completely different from
their approach of ranking web content (I don't exactly have other
people linking to my Word files...) It appears to be relatively
straightforward ranking - most recently modified results appear on
top.  If the result is an image, a thumbnail of the top ranked images
are displayed;and the indexing is very fast and 'polite' (doesn't hog
processor usage) - I copied a file to my desktop and then did a search
for a keyword that was in the file and it appeared in the top results.
Can't wait for the gBrowser...

-Anders