[Sigia-l] RE: Search and "special" keywords

O'Neill, Todd todd.oneill at usaa.com
Tue Oct 12 16:33:03 EDT 2004

Thanks Ginny!

GINNY SAID>1) Is there a short list of frequently used pages? If so, how
are they treated in the IA.
We have a good idea of what pages are frequented.

GINNY SAID>2) Does the search capability need to be improved, either
overall or for a subset of the content?
Search generally works pretty well. We set out to provide accurate
(relative term) results for all queries. Frequent queries got a little
tweaking if the weren't returning decent results.

GINNY SAID>3) Are there specific search problems stemming from the
vocabulary, where "best bets" would work well?
We're exploring a "best bets" solution.

GINNY SAID>You can certainly implement a special searchable field, and
either have people type in the field query or offer GINNY SAID>a special
box that sends the query. There's more than one way to do this, too.
I don't manage the IA of the site. We are days away from a redesign
release, both graphic and IA; those folks will have my head if I ask for
a new entry box.

GINNY SAID>What do they like and dislike about the current "kludge?"
They love the kludge...except it can't track the entry of the "special
keyword" to click through to the target page. We currently have a "code"
that does the same thing as our new "Special Keywords" do except that
code is managed through a db by the marketers and they can pull some
metrics from it.

I'm trying to understand what are the approaches that others have taken
with this concept so I don't have to wade through alligators to get to a
solution that someone has already done successfully. I'm thinking maybe
a separate search "collection" for these "special keywords" so we can
leverage the search engine's speed. (Our results come back @ a little
over 100th of a second.) I have a call out to our search vendor to see
if we can search collections sequentially and stop searching if we get a
result in the first (special keyword) collection.

Thanks for responding! Anyone else out there?

Todd O'Neill     Web Producer     USAA Customer Experience
210-913-8312     todd.oneill at usaa.com
These opinions mine not those of USAA.
"The purpose of business is to create and keep a customer." Peter
Drucker

Find out more about why they want this functionality. There could be a
few underlying issues.

1) Is there a short list of frequently used pages? If so, how are they
treated in the IA.

2) Does the search capability need to be improved, either overall or for
a subset of the content?

3) Are there specific search problems stemming from the vocabulary,
where "best bets" would work well?

You can certainly implement a special searchable field, and either have
people type in the field query or offer a special box that sends the
query. There's more than one way to do this, too.

What do they like and dislike about the current "kludge?"

Ginny