[Sigia-l] Admin - List Settings

Richard Hill rhill at asis.org
Thu Oct 7 11:59:12 EDT 2004

I recently made a change in the list settings so postings from
non-subscribers are rejected.  This is because the list gets well over 100
spams a day.  The reject message says:

"Sorry, you are not subscribed to this list at the address from which this
message was sent.  If you believe this to be in error, please contact the
moderator.

This change is absolutely not to prevent non-subscribers from posting to the
list.  We welcome all contributions.

This step has been taken because of the overwhelming amount of spam the list
receives."

This setting has not been changed long enough for me to know if it is
holding or rejecting HTML postings from subscribers.

Please do let me know if any of you have problems with these settings or
with the message.  For those who must or want to post form a secondary
address, it is perfectly acceptable to subscribe that second address and
then set it to "no mail" so you can send, but will not receive, at that
address.

Dick Hill
Richard Hill
Executive Director
American Society for Information Science and Technology
1320 Fenwick Lane, Silver Spring, MD  20910
FAX: (301) 495-0810
Voice: (301) 495-0900
www.asis.org