[Sigia-l] Serious Discussion of IA Research?

Dwayne King dking at pinpointlogic.com
Mon Nov 29 23:57:18 EST 2004

On Nov 29, 2004, at 6:08 PM, Boniface Lau wrote:

> So, the architecture of a relational database is what you would call
> an Information Architecture?

Boniface,
You weren't' writing me in regards to this comment, but in my opinion a
relation schema is most definitely part of Information Architecture, an
artifact of IA. An Information Architect that doesn't have the
knowledge to influence the underlying data structure is "hampered" to
say the least.

All,
In regards to data v. information, I was doing a contract for GM Fleet
and Commercial a few years back and a guy there (I'll track down his
name if any are interested) had the best quote of all my interviews
there. He said the problem that he was having was that, "GM was
collection tons and tons of data, but he still had no information."

I don't know that I'd distinguish dave v. info as machine v. human, but
more in that data is built of discreet units that through patterns
build information. It seems a matter of patterns to me.

This is pretty off the cuff, so feel free to beat me up on logic errors
:)

Dwayne
www.pinpointlogic.com