[Sigia-l] Personalization in enterprise IA project

Peter Van Dijck peter at poorbuthappy.com
Sat Nov 27 18:45:05 EST 2004

> At which point (granularity) group personalization should be
> implemented? (With "Group personalization" i mean personalization for
> employees of a business unit etc.)

I don't have an answer for at which point. But: at a job I worked where
we made many enterprise portals, we had Marty's law, which had to do
with the granularity of personalization. Marty was the head techie. We'd
always have discussions with clients about how granular personalization
had to be, and the discussions would go into a lot of detail, ending up
with dozens to hundreds of levels of personalization.

Marty's law says that, on an enterprise portal, you always start talking
about really detailed personalization, but you end up with only a few
categories in the end. I've seen it in action a few times.

Didn't answer your question, but I thought I'd share that.

Cheers,
Peter