[Sigia-l] Serious Discussion of IA Research?

bill pawlak billpawlak at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 27 13:29:12 EST 2004

>   Every culture and language has categories that are, cognitively,
> more
> "basic" than others. This means that the category "cat" is recognized
> and used with a lot less cognitive effort than the category "feline".
> The word "cat" is shorter than "feline" for a reason. Children learn
> (in
> ALL cultures) what a "cat" is much sooner than they learn what
> "feline"
> is. There are reasons why this is so (embodiment, ...) This is a
> universal law of how humans categorize.

But you're missing the context part, which was my whole point...

http://www.cat.com/ has *nothing* to do with felines, so the example of
the "law" that you brought up is irrelevant for any problem that deals
with "construction and mining equipment, diesel and natural gas engines
and industrial gas turbines."

bill