[Sigia-l] Google Scholar vs Citeseer and others

Karl Fast karl.fast at pobox.com
Mon Nov 22 19:36:41 EST 2004

> I assume if they do then perhaps coming at it from the other
> direction would be possible? Through Endnote I can search a variety
> of indexes and library catalogs and add references from there.
> They're using Z39.50.*

I'm not sure I completely understand what you mean here.

I would be astonished if Google provided a Z39.50 interface. And I'd
be almost as surprised if they provided an OAI interface.

Google has demonstrated great interest in gathering data from the
Web and other sources (like WorldCat) and making it accessible to
end users through a simple web interface.

But they have demonstrated very little interest in making their data
programmatically accessible. The Google API has always been
deliberately limited and hasn't really changed since it was first
launched.

--karl
http://www.livingskies.com/