[Sigia-l] Re: IA research?

Laurie Gray lgraybizmail at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 22 08:58:15 EST 2004

Worse yet was being told by colleagues degreed in HF
that "anyone in the office could do IA". I begged to
differ but I completely acknowledge the overlap
between the fields.

My thoughts on research: I have a strong background in
psychology. Because so much of the work we do can be
boiled back down to the user experience (read: user
psychology and all that it entails), we *are*
functioning in areas that are already rather crowded
with others who look at the psychology of use (e.g.
HCI, HF, etc.). That doesn't mean that we need to
replicate their work, but I think that it does mean
that we are operating in an already crowded space. The
task is to differentiate ourselves from the crowd.

What, then, can we do to formalize the study of
organization and navigation and design as it relates
to user psychology? There is still much we don't know.

Laurie Gray
Senior Information Architect
KnowledgeStorm.com