[Sigia-l] IA research? and professionalism

AF Cossham cossham00 at xtra.co.nz
Sun Nov 21 23:04:20 EST 2004

I'm quite new to the field, so this is very much an outsider's perspective.
(former cataloguing librarian, now lecturer in information and library
studies, and records and information management consultant)

But since I am trying to come to grips with this fascinating field all at
once, I've been fairly ruthless and thorough in reading the literature and
seeing how IA has developed. Have to say that I agree with Peter Van Dijck's
blog entry - there is a dearth of stuff at the moment. Plus, I am very
conscious of the distance between, for example, what is discussed on this
list and various websites, and the "older" literature - where IA was not
restricted to the web. Cross-disciplinary perspectives are definitely a way
to go - with this most cross-disciplinary of all disciplines. To carve out a
new niche, while still keeping up with what is happening elsewhere takes
considerable effort - on top of simply making a living!

As well, I wonder whether IA is a profession. Not sure that it has quite
reached that status yet (not disputing the professionalism of any of you in
the field, just asking) - and I think that the development of a body of
research is one factor to consider here.

I've considered whether records managers are a profession, against a number
of measures. The following article is most interesting:
Pemberton, J. Michael. "Records Management: Confronting Our Professional
Issues." Records Management Journal 8, no. 3 (1998): 5-18.

Pemberton uses eight characteristics against which he considers the
development of records management towards professionalism. The
characteristics are: abstract and practical knowledge, social relevance,
code of ethics, education, professional culture, autonomy, sense of
commitment and client service.  "Taken together these characteristics form a
model useful in gauging the progress of any occupation towards becoming a
profession."

While he does not mention research specifically, I consider that it comes
under abstract and practical knowledge, education, and possibly professional
culture as well. Research is something that academics do too, and scholarly
publishing is the outcome of this output. Unless I'm looking in all the
wrong places (tell me if I am!) I cannot locate any scholarly journal
publication dedicated to IA.

I think it will take more time, and effort on the part of all who consider
themselves information architects. It will take a push from teaching
institutions to ensure graduates emerge willing to continue research. It
takes motivation from those working in the field to document and evaluate
and then *disseminate* this information. It takes awareness of other
disciplines, which is an ongoing and constant process. It takes awareness of
exactly WHAT information architecture actually is, a common ground.

This is my own ramble - thank you for reading.

Regards,
Amanda

Amanda Cossham
Lindisfarne Information Consulting Ltd
Phone:  025-309-013  or  04-388-6610
Address:  6 Arahanga Grove, Maupuia, Wellington 6003, New Zealand