[Sigia-l] IA research?

Andrew Boyd andrew_db at bigpond.com
Sun Nov 21 19:59:38 EST 2004

Hi Peter,

I have a pet hypothesis, based on no real-world data whatsoever, that IA
has evolved past the initial 'new love' phase of research. There has
been sufficient research done such that IA can survive as a viable
useful profession - to provide a set of tools for use in the field. IMHO
this is a natural stage in the progression of IA. It is not a matter of
people resting on their laurels, so much as the laurels are now there
when they weren't before, when the profession (as opposed to the field
of research) was new. Valuable research is still being done every day,
but perhaps not as much as before? I don't know. How do we quantify
research? Time/dollars spent? Active projects?

That this 'apparent laurel-resting' is a good or bad thing is a separate
issue. Again, totally personally, I love as much research as I can get
other people to do for me for free, or that I can get my boss to pay for
to access - I also appreciate that humanity as a whole benefits from
research.

Cheers, Andrew

Peter Van Dijck wrote:

> Apologies for cross posting and for pointing to a blog entry and for
> the long link.
>
> I wrote a long rambling entry about (the lack of) IA research and
> innovation. Are we building a practice and a body of knowledge, or are
> we slowly dying out? Again, apologies for linking, but here goes:
>
> http://poorbuthappy.com/ease/archives/2004/11/21/2167/
>
> I'd like comments/ideas. Am I the only one who feels we, as a
> profession, need to get with the program? Oh well.
>
> Cheers,
> Peter

Andrew Boyd
Business Development Manager