[Sigia-l] Google Scholar

Andrew Boyd andrew_db at bigpond.com
Thu Nov 18 15:23:58 EST 2004

Hi Donna,

it is news today because Google is doing it... if Google put out their
own brand of cat food, this would also make the news

Seriously - as one that accesses academic research not as often as he
would like these days - it is probably because the Google name appears
to make the initial search more accessible - people can shop for
cameras, or research eye tracking, using the same search engine. Which
they could have done already, I guess

It is a bit like when Intel put out those cute toy USB microscopes -
they were more notable at the time because Intel was selling them,
rather than that they were cool toys.

Cheers, Andrew

Donna Timara wrote:

>What value does it add, looking at Google does not own any database of
>Scholarly content?
>
>I am comparing it with some of the already established ones - Factiva
>for business/financial, ACM for HCI, HBR etc... Is the search
>capability that big a deal?
>
>I am sure it is good for Open Access Journals, but then what's the
>difference with what was Google search before. I want to understand
>why this is making headlines today.
>
>:Donna

Andrew Boyd
Business Development Manager