[Sigia-l] implementing DHTML rollover menus and form elements

Anders Ramsay andersr at gmail.com
Tue Nov 9 13:31:38 EST 2004

On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 12:44:44 -0500, Lisa Agustin
<lisa at dynamicdiagrams.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Does anyone know of any good examples of how to implement DHTML rollover
> menus (particularly long ones) on pages that contain form elements?

Is it possible that your global nav doesn't belong on this form page?
In other words, do users filling out this form absolutely definitely
need access to the global nav on this page?  The reason the form
elements are 'poking through' the layer elements is because system
widgets (i.e. any UI object that is native to the browser) almost
always appear above non-system content. (I do recall seeing some
kloogy ways to get the system widget to not appear above layer
elements, but none I'd recommend.)  Rather than to try to jump through
a bunch of technical hoops to supply the user with something that it
seems may not be their primary focus while filling out a form,
consider replacing the global nav with a 'back to [main/home/the
referring page]' link on these pages.

-Anders