[Sigia-l] Re: Spam and be punished

Are Gulbrandsen a.d.gulbrandsen at usit.uio.no
Tue Nov 9 11:45:17 EST 2004

Anders Ramsay:
> My Norwegian is a bit rusty, but the article doesn't seem to go into
> much detail about the offending technique, except to say that doorway
> pages "and other techniques" were the basis for Google's actions. No
> Norwegians on the list?

Ok, I'll give it a try. Here's a quick summary and translation.
(Getting the sigia-list in digest mode I don't know if anybody else
have answered this already).

Short summary:
--------------
The site www.eguiden.no have a section on search optimization for
websites where they often report searchengine spamming.

Oct 25. they wrote an article and included a 10 page analysis of the
Radisson SAS case:
- Article: http://www.eguiden.no/cparticle188538-9692a.html
- Report: http://www.eguiden.no/getfile.php/121823.69/Radisson%20SAS.pdf
   (Page 4-10 of the report give examples of the html-code and
javascript used)

In the report they refer to Googles spam policy and an article in
Search Engine Watch about doorway pages
- http://www.google.com/contact/spamreport.html
- http://searchenginewatch.com/webmasters/article.php/2167831

As a result of the report Google removed radissonsas.com and
radissonsas.no (and possibly more radissonsas domains) from Googles
- Appearantly you won't find any Radisson SAS hotels in Europe
searching google today.

Translation/summary of the article
----------------------------------
Article: http://www.eguiden.no/cparticle188538-9692a.html

The main technique used is shadow domains with doorway pages.

There are over 700 pages made for the searchengine spiders which are
not usable for potential hotel guests. All the pages have a redirect to
the main page radissonsas.com. There are pages optimized for every city
in Europe where Radisson SAS have hotels, and they are written in
several languages and with variations of the most used keywords and
phrases for hotels.

Read the full 10-page report PDF/336k:
http://www.eguiden.no/getfile.php/121823.69/Radisson%20SAS.pdf

It's our opinion that this violation of the Google spam fraud policy is
so serious that Google have to remove the domain radissonsas.com from
the index.

To stop spam and fraud, the searchengines need help from us users, and
Google have a page where spam like this can be reported. You can report
pages you think violates Googles policy here:
http://www.google.com/contact/spamreport.html

Summary of the report:

If you search Google for "konferansehotell i oslo" [Eng: "Conference
hotel in Oslo"], you get the following result on top:
---------
konferansehotell i oslo, Radisson SAS Hoteller i Oslo.
konferansehotell i oslo:: Søker du hotell eller konferanshotell i
Oslo? Reservere hotellrom ... eller ferie. konferansehotell i oslo.
oslo.radissonsas.com/lang-norsk/
phrase/konferansehotell_i_oslo.html - 7k - Cached - Similar pages
---------

If you click on the links you get to
http://oslo.radissonsas.com/norsk/index.php
and not to http://oslo.radissonsas.com/lang-norsk/
phrase/konferansehotell_i_oslo.html

Note the space before the word "phrase" in the URL used to fool the
user.

In the phrase-page there's a javascript which is executed by the
client. The script builds a url, in this case
http://oslo.radissonsas.com/norsk/index.php , and redirects the client
to this page.

The URL to this "trick-page" is invisible for anyone using a browser
with javascript turned on, that is for most people.

The searchengine spiders won't get redirected because they won't read
and execute the javascript code.

You can find 705 hits in Google searching for all of the words:
radissonsas com phrase

Here's some of the hits. Note that all html-pages have phrases, and
that the html-pages are optimized using theese phrases.

	• 	copenhagen.radissonsas.com/
lang-deutsch/phrase/kopenhagen_hotels.html
	• 	copenhagen.radissonsas.com/lang-deutsch/
phrase/hotels_in_kopenhagen.html
	• 	copenhagen.radissonsas.com/
lang-deutsch/phrase/kopenhagen_hotels.html
	• 	 copenhagen.radissonsas.com/lang-deutsch/
phrase/hotels_in_kopenhagen.html
	• 	copenhagen.radissonsas.com/lang-deutsch/phrase/
	• 	copenhagen.radissonsas.com/lang-norsk/phrase/
	• 	copenhagen.radissonsas.com/lang-dansk/phrase/
	• 	copenhagen.radissonsas.com/lang-francais/phrase/
	• 	copenhagen.radissonsas.com/lang-svenska/phrase/
	• 	copenhagen.radissonsas.com/
lang-norsk/phrase/hotell_i_koebenhavn.html
	• 	copenhagen.radissonsas.com/ lang-norsk/phrase/hotell_koebenhavn.html

Best Regards,
Are D. Gulbrandsen
The XML-group,
University of Oslo