[Sigia-l] "Spam and be punished"

Andrew Boyd andrew_db at bigpond.com
Tue Nov 9 00:50:28 EST 2004

Eric Scheid wrote:

>from the URL Ziya provided:
>
>    Radisson SAS made extensive use of Shadow Domains and Doorway Pages
>
>e.

Hi Eric,

I saw that bit, but wondered how the creation and use of shadow domains
and doorway pages constitutes spamming Google per se?

Say I am, well, a widget distributor in Australia. I buy a bunch of
domain names like "findwidgetsaustralia.com.au" and "widgets.org.au" and
populate them with a bunch of none-too-subtle redirects to my home page,
ozwidgets.com. I'd then (using Google's flawed
big-referrals-equals-good-information selection mechanism) have to
googlebomb the redirect sites before it constituted spamming Google.
That is, in its simplest form, set up a bunch of phony link lists that
contain recommendations to my redirect sites. I think that it would be
an interesting challenge for a talented programmer - to create a
googlebomb generator - such that a googlespammer could enter a topic
domain (subject/target audience/geographical region) and have the phony
link pages generated automatically. Unless this is happening already,
which would not surprise me.

Unless I have this all wrong. Wouldn't be the first time! :)

Cheers, Andrew

Andrew Boyd
Business Development Manager
Daily Basis P/L