[Sigia-l] long copy vs short copy

Eric Scheid eric.scheid at ironclad.net.au
Sun Nov 7 20:06:13 EST 2004

An interesting experiment: does long copy produce more sales than short
copy?

    http://www.marketingexperiments.com/archives/long_vs_short.cfm

It's an interesting read, and the answer isn't entirely plain - there are
caveats. Also, the testing turned up an interesting observation:

> KEY POINT: Our assumption ­ that shortening the order process overall [by
> removing an interstitial 'product info' page] would increase conversion ­
> proved to be nearsighted. Sending visitors from the [sales] copy page directly
> to the [shopping] cart was too abrupt. Many of them abandoned the order
> process before finishing their orders.

This is all interesting because the general assumption in usability is to
"cut the text in half, then cut it again", and simplifying the number of
steps improves usability and thus sales. Those are not hard and fast rules
of course, but they are the general guidelines.

e.