[Sigia-l] The A>B, B>A problem

Leonard Will L.Will at willpowerinfo.co.uk
Fri Nov 5 17:54:19 EST 2004

In message <418BF9E8.7070004 at poorbuthappy.com> on Fri, 5 Nov 2004, Peter
Van Dijck <peter at poorbuthappy.com> wrote
>Thanks Leonard - an answer to my question!
>
>However, the problem I'm describing isn't exactly "what citation order
>should the facets be put in?". It is more: "What's the name for the
>problem when there is NO one correct citation order for your facets
>possible because different users will want to access the information
>differently."
>
>I'd love to hear more about your view on this. If I understand you
>correctly, you are saying: you should have some principle to order the
>facets in a hierarchy. (Note that I am talking about a hierarchy used
>for browsing. I'm not sure how different usage is in your case?)

Yes, I agree with that. If you are providing a set of indexing strings
or headings for browsing, made up of a combination of concepts from one
or more facets, then you have to choose the citation order that you
consider most useful to the potential users.

>What I am saying is: there often is no solution, because some users
>will want to access by country first (in this example), others by
>color. So this is a problem, that can be solved in various ways.

If there is a significant number of users who will find it useful to
have a different citation order, then you can provide an alternative set
of indexing strings arranged to suit them.

If you cannot predict the order in which users will wish to have facets
combined in a browsing list, it is impracticable to provide all possible
orders. It is usual to choose one, on general principles of "specific
before general" such as those which I outlined, and explain this to the
users so that they understand it.

Then provide some alternative means for users to combine facets at the
time of search in whatever order they wish, such as those which I have
listed at <http://www.willpowerinfo.co.uk/thesbibl.htm#interfaces>.

>But what is the name of this problem, if any?

I think that the problem you have described is adequately named as
"choice of citation order [for an indexing string or subject heading]",
with or without the words in brackets, depending on whether the context
makes them unnecessary. You could call it something like "choice of
alternative citation orders for different user groups" or some variation
on these expressions.

Whatever name you call it should be self-explanatory, rather than
something esoteric like "the ABBA problem" which would just irritate me
if I had to start searching for a definition of what you were talking
about.

Best wishes

Leonard
--
Willpower Information       (Partners: Dr Leonard D Will, Sheena E Will)
Information Management Consultants              Tel: +44 (0)20 8372 0092