[Sigia-l] User Test Cost - Does this sound reasonable?

Listera listera at rcn.com
Wed May 26 00:25:19 EDT 2004

Lisa deBettencourt:

> In my experience, it's been beneficial to invite Developers to observe
> usability tests and see users struggle with using products.  I have often
> heard developers say, "users don't do X", "users will do Y", "users can
> figure it out".  When the view the tests, they actually see for themselves
> that users DO do X, won't do Y and can't figure it out. (well, they probably
> could, in due time, with lots of frustration.)

It's hard to disagree with this. But my question is, why are developers
getting involved in usability issues to begin with? The fundamental problem
here is not that they don't quite understand usability issues (they don't
have to since they are programmers after all), but that they are disputing
another professional (designer) whose jobs it is to know these things.

The solution to this untenable situation, as I outlined in my previous post,
is not for developers to assume even larger responsibilities and move into
what should be designers' domain, but for designers to assert their
leadership and earn the respect of developers because they know what they
are talking about.

Ziya
Nullius in Verba