[Sigia-l] User Test Cost - Does this sound reasonable?

Listera listera at rcn.com
Wed May 26 00:24:45 EDT 2004

Chris Chandler:

>> I'd be happy to discuss the actual merits of what I'm advocating or why
>> Developers shouldn't be in the design business and vice versa.

> I'm not sure "advocating" is really of any use.

Hmm, where's that AK-47.:-)

> I've been working in an environment where it's taken two hard years to get the
> development team to trust that anyone on the "creative" side knows anything
> about application development at all.

And they may be right. Designers have to *earn* that respect.

> (In fact, many "designers" and some IAs don't want to know anything about the
> technical details of an application.

That's their choice. Developers will continue to ignore them then.

> I'd be more interested in how you would suggest someone go about making
> this dramatic change you advocate for in an enterprise environment? From
> my experience, it's a long hard process to develop trust and good
> working relationships.

In case this was misunderstood, I'm not doling out recipes to change any
*specific* workplace/project/team. My crusade is industry-wide and
long-term. I outlined the primary change vectors in my previous post.

Ziya
Nullius in Verba