[Sigia-l] which comes first: user scenarios or user personas?

Pabini Gabriel-Petit pabini at earthlink.net
Sun May 23 04:32:03 EDT 2004

Hi Eric

For me, it's somewhat iterative. One needs some kind of user profile to
identify good subjects for user research, but the research elicits the
information needed to create detailed, realistic personas. It's a matter of
refinement. Task analysis precedes high-level task scenario development,
which occurs during conceptual modeling. Then, during the design phase, I
develop usage scenarios, which describe user interactions as step-by-step
procedures. So, user modeling and task analysis are discovery activities,
while scenario development is a design activity.

Pabini

Pabini Gabriel-Petit
Principal & User Experience Architect
Spirit Softworks