[Sigia-l] IA & Personalisation Automation Studies

Philipp Schumann phil at mokka.org
Fri May 21 19:51:11 EDT 2004

Hi,

I'm an undergraduate student of Intelligent System at Oxford Brookes
University, England, and for my final year project of independent study I
had the idea of exploring possibilities in the automation or at least
automated assistance of personalisation and certain decisions usually made
in Information Architecture and HCI.

The project, dubbed "Resonance Personalisation Framework", sets out to
provide programmable component technology that could be used in web and
software projects to improve the user experience, especially of complex
systems. It builds on the idea of Adaptive User Interfaces, but more
personalisation-oriented. In fact, Keith Instone's work on personalisation &
IA (http://user-experience.org/uefiles/iapersonalization/) was the driving
inspiration for the idea. If you're interested, you can read the full
project proposal at http://www.mokka.co.uk/resonance.pdf . The main goal of
this project is to devise a solution that is capable of addressing certain
types of questions usually dealt with by IA & HCI at designtime - but at
runtime, dynamically, based on the individual user.

What I'd like to ask you is whatever springs to your mind on the idea. URLs
to past work on the subject? Warnings? I shouldn't be doing it? Great idea
BUT? I'd love to hear it!

I'm looking forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,
Phil