[Sigia-l] Refreshing - What's RIA?

Dave dheller at gmail.com
Sun May 16 19:42:17 EDT 2004

Hi Bob,
I think it iimportant to note this:
Not all Web Applications are RIAs and in fact not all RIAs are web applications.
RIAs do not have to be HTTP based at all. They can use UDP or other
protocols. They also do not have to be online only.

Macromedia's Central and the new announcement by IBM regarding their
Workplace distributed application system would both be examples of
RIAs that can run in an offline mode. So putting RIAs under "Web
Application" (don't know why you would make it "WebApplication"; seems
a bit 1999, eh?).

To me RIAs are actually a replacement technology for Web-based
applications and NOT a sub-category of them.

BTW, I am struggling w/ XUL being included in the RIA category. What I
have seen from XUL applications is a notch above HTML-based apps, but
not to the same level of richness as what I have learned to expect
from RIAs in the Central examples that I have been playing with. Maybe
it is just that XUL has not had creators who are as interested in
aesthetics as Central/Flash application designers have been, but every
XUL app I have seen just seems like Java Swing (meaning, incredibly
limited in their implementations). I'd love to see XUL examples that
counter this.

Also, RIAs do not require a web browser to run. This is probably a
very important distinction as well.

- dave