[Sigia-l] IA for non-web based projects

Everett, Andy EveretA at wsdot.wa.gov
Thu May 13 13:33:50 EDT 2004

I'll 2nd the good points, Todd

My undergraduate work is in film and video. I've done extensive volunteer
and professional producing. With a twist of fate, I'm in a completely
different field starting from Producer/Director/Writer/Editor to a Webmaster
to LAN Tech to Metadata Repository Administrator.

The concepts I learned as a producer both professionally and academically
have not been lost and I have applied them in every position I've had.
Producers by nature are user/audience centered. No matter what the medium
the process IS the same. I 've always believed that the process of producing
is the same no matter what medium. In essence they are all information
systems where you want to guide the user/audience experience.

I can see where the video professional may not see their tools (storyboards,
scripts etc ) as IA tools. Before my foray into other areas, I might have
looked at you funny if you said that a Producer is an Information Architect.
I see the similarities now. I'd go as far as saying a producer is a type of
information system designer.
I see the same things in DBAs who see metadata as only attributes in a table
and can't always see beyond the context of the database.

Andy Everett
Office of Information Technology
Washington State Department of Transportation
P.O. Box 47430
Olympia, WA 98504-7430
Phone: 360-705-7622
 FAX: 360-705-6817