[Sigia-l] RE: Diagramming logical semantic statements (Tori Orr)

Christopher G. Fox cfox at lds.com
Sun May 9 20:57:09 EDT 2004

I'd recommend John Sowa's Knowledge Representation. Several techniques
are described there including the use of Conceptual Graphs for
diagramming propositions, which may well be what meets your needs.
Here's a good overview in a web tutorial:
http://users.bestweb.net/~sowa/cg/tut.htm for CGs, and
http://www.jfsowa.com/ontology/index.htm for representing purely
ontological relationships.

You may well be able to simplify from these as a starting point.
Ultimately depends on who's really the audience for the diagrams and
what you're expecting them to be able to do with a successful
understanding of them.

Christopher G. Fox, Ph.D.
Principal Consultant
Logical Design Solutions, Inc.
            (www.lds.com)

   1. Diagramming logical semantic statements (Tori Orr)

--__--__--

There was an IEEE Intelligent Systems article that provided, as an
example,
a coded ontology for HP products written back in 2000 and titled "FAQs
on
OIL: The Ontology Inference Layer." (It discusses the relationship
between
ontologies and XML/RDFs -- in the context of the Semantic Web,
http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~horrocks/Publications/publications.html)

Anyway, I'm trying to *visually* diagram some similar logical statements
in
some form of flow chart with relationships indicated with arrows as a
simple
example of an ontology as one might define it for computer use, but I
keep
getting my fishing lines tangled between terms and my display is really
not
any less confusing than the original list.

I'm ready to abandon the whole plan...unless...someone here has already
achieved what I'm finding so difficult. I'd be really interested if
anyone
here had already developed a clear example of such a thing they'd be
willing
to share with me rather than recreating yet another ontological wheel. I
feel like someone MUST have done something like this already at some
point?
(thanks in advance!)

tori (member of human race, class of female, subclass brunette, domain
IA)
st