[Sigia-l] Form Entry Best Practices

Bryan Haggerty bhaggs at ccs.neu.edu
Thu May 6 15:09:27 EDT 2004

I had recently done a form at my previous work place for a housing
application, which you can imagine requires a significant amount of
information.  I implemented a few techniques for alerting the user of
errors which you might find useful.

http://www.radcliffe.edu/about/resources/housing/cronkhite/academic/
step1.php

The idea of a script breaking up a single address field  can prove to
be a problem when dealing with international addresses since there is a
multitude of variations. (this obviously depends on who your users are
going to be).

Plus providing just one field can lead to the user omitting data which
you are seeking to find, for example if you require say the +4 zip
code.  That is something you cannot guarantee to get if you provide the
user with just a single address field.

Bryan Haggerty