[Sigia-l] community

CD Evans clifton at infostyling.com
Fri Mar 19 12:35:14 EST 2004

Community is what I truncated this thread to, not really because I
thought it should be a voting community, but because communities need
to rely on each other.

In essence, I agree with Brett that the narrowness of the taxonomic
discussions have influenced my opinion of the usefulness of this list.
I could say and, in a much less polite way, have said, the same thing
about ROI. These are topics we do need in our skill set, and so I don't
want to vote them out (apology). But it would be better, I feel, if we
had a more well rounded list as opposed to being entrenched in the
specifics. Especially as it cuts off the rest of the architectural
elements!

We're not a bunch of idiots. We'd just like to make better systems. We
all have our own specialization, but as we have found they can
sometimes be at odds with each other. That doesn't mean we have to take
sides though. We can act like adults and, perhaps, keep topics to
'plain-english'?

I vote for plain english. Just as boxes and arrows started out with. We
should keep our values of keeping information usable. If the taxonomic
elements are sometimes unusable, they might need a card sort
themselves. Same goes for business needs.

Let's not separate the community with what Brett Lider at the summit
referred to some people having 'too much attitude'. And good on him
too. Let's try to build a community here that respects specialization,
but as a part of a much larger thing called InfoArch. Or whatever.

And no, I don't think taxonomy is the centre of any structure. Sorry.
It may be the strongest element we have, but I could build something
out of icons if need be.

My vote is for plain english and for acceptance of what everyone has to
give.

Kindly
CD Evans