[Sigia-l] Five questions about the future of this community

Todd R.Warfel lists at mk27.com
Fri Mar 12 18:46:30 EST 2004

Dave,

You know I have the utmost respect for you, bro. The virus joke....
hehe. Don't know if McAfee can cover it thought, might need
surgery...;).

[publicly directed commentary]
I'm in agreement that we should call BS when we see it. I'm from the
east coast, remember. We call BS all the time out here. Not as
discretely as our friends to the south, or west (be it geography or
politics). But then there are several different styles present here in
this group.

I think we just need more balance here on this list. Some of us should
toughen up a bit, but also realize that the newer people might be more
sensitive. My biggest concern is that I've seen far too many "go search
the archives" posts that come off as less helpful to the individual
asking the question and more damaging to this community.

I'd hate to see this community go the way of an old abandoned factory
in LAs Skid Row - it's not pretty. Granted, I've not been a member of
this list as long as some of the others here. But the truth is, sadly,
that you don't have to be a member for much longer than a couple of
days to see this. Usually it takes months ;). I think Christina made a
good point with the broken window scenario.

This list has the potential to be really powerful. There are some
incredibly talented people here (you all know who you are). And if you
don't know who they are, I'd suggest you seek them out from those of us
who can be objective and balanced on this list.

I agree with the comments made here earlier by others that this list in
no way (or very little way) reflects the sense of community I witnessed
at the IA Summit this year. And I heard countless comments of "well, I
signed back up to check in on the list, but saw that it hadn't changed,
and was still the worthless personal watering hole for a very few that
it was six months ago when I signed off. Subsequently, I've signed off
again.... Oh well."

Now, I don't think I'm alone here in saying that I don't think thats
the rep we want. It reflects on our discipline.

I've said this before and I'll say it again - we have the freedom to
express our selves and views here (as related to IA), but with that
freedom comes responsibility. And frankly, I'd like to see us be more
responsible and more accountable.

On Mar 12, 2004, at 5:21 PM, David Heller wrote:

> So Todd ... While you and I know each other off list and work together
> pretty closely on the IxD stuff, some might not know that, and thus
> think
> that you calling me infected by some virus might be a flame ... Heh
> heh heh
> ... Can McAfee cover that? ... ;)
>
> -- dave

Cheers!

Todd R. Warfel
User Experience Architect
MessageFirst | making products easier to use
Contact Info
voice: 	(607) 339-9640
email: 	twarfel at messagefirst.com
web: 	www.messagefirst.com