[Sigia-l] list constitution, maybe? (was List Moderation)

Richard Hill rhill at asis.org
Thu Mar 11 12:51:26 EST 2004

ADMIN - I have removed any restriction on Zia.  I put it on, intending to
moderate comments.  All that happened was that posts were held for approval
-- and nothing was rejected while that hold was on.  After seeing the lists
thoughts, I took the hold off as soon as possible today.  Putting the hold
on was solely my decision.

ALSO The admin of this list has not changed.  I removed Jim as a listed
moderator as his e-mail was bouncing.  He will be back and listed when the
bounce problem is resolved.

And regarding a "CONSTITUTION" as Karl describes, below is text that we
added to the welcome message for new subscribers.

Dick Hill
-------
This list can be quite busy.  For quality reasons, please observe the
following rules when sending messages to the list. If you have any questions
about whether or not
something is appropriate, feel free to contact the list moderators prior to
posting.

   1.Avoid negative comments about any individual. If there is a problem
with someone on the list, then e-mail that person
     directly. Also, avoid mention of any names if the associated comment is
not positive.
   2.Do not include any foul or obscene language on any message sent to the
list.
   3.Excessive negative generalizations will not be tolerated.
   4.Do not send any chain letters, virus warning letters, or any other type
of "pass it on" e-mail under any circumstances to
     the list.
   5.Do not forward private e-mails to the list.  It is OK to copy part of a
message that has appeared on the list, but it is not
     permitted to copy or forward part or all of a message that someone sent
to you off-list.
   6.Stick to the topic of Information Architecture.
   7.Every e-mail should have added value/substance. "Me too" mail without
added value is not acceptable.
   8.If you are receiving the digest form of this list, please do NOT allow
copies of the digest to appear in any of your posts.
     You may selectively cut and paste relevant portions of a given post to
include in your post, but including the entire
     digest is not allowed.
   9.Please make sure that the subject line matches your post. If you are
taking an existing discussion off on a specific
     tangent, make sure the subject line reflects the change in conversation
direction.
  10.Please do not send attachments to the list.

Richard Hill
Executive Director
American Society for Information Science and Technology
1320 Fenwick Lane, Silver Spring, MD  20910
FAX: (301) 495-0810
Voice: (301) 495-0900
www.asis.org