[Sigia-l] In defence of Ziya ... WAS Re[2]: Let's be helpful...

Dave Collins DCollins at phoenix-interactive.com
Thu Mar 11 10:26:52 EST 2004

>Over time, and especially on this list, I've turned completely around
in
>my estimation. To my mind, Ziya presents a pretty consistent worldview
-
>knowlegeable, skeptical, practical and, yes, helpful.

I am relatively new.

I find Ziya's posts very informative as well, whether or not I agree
with them. I think that is the basis of good dialogue. It is unfortunate
that Ziya has been singled out, perhaps as an example.

My objection is to the consistency and the glee with which the
derisiveness comes out. There is disagreement with an point, and then
there is insulting a person. My concern is about people who do not make
the distinction.

It is key to recognize that moderating one's behaviour does not *have*
to dilute one's input. Not everyone makes that distinction either. Those
who refuse moderate their own behaviour invite external moderation upon
themselves.