[Sigia-l] In defence of Ziya ... WAS Re[2]: Let's be helpful...

Betsy Martens bigshoulders at mindspring.com
Wed Mar 10 20:35:45 EST 2004

I'd like to throw down with this opinion as well. It's utterly
repugnant to me that anyone would be singled out for muzzling.

And I'm completely baffled because over the years I've seen blunt,
abrupt and pointed posts from some of the very same people who so
object to Ziya's style of posting blunt, abrupt and pointed messages.

Isn't this what we refer to as a double standard?

Anything else I might have to say about this has been stated eloquently
enough by others. Except for one thing: regardless of complaints,
SIG-IA still seems to be *the* place where people post questions, seek
help, etc. Even if you discount increased volume due to these
occasional style skirmishes (or, to be fair, Ziya going off on a small
secondary point), this still appears to be the reference list of choice
for IA matters. Neither AIFIA nor AIGA XD list have anywhere near as
much participation.

So why don't we just go for the big societal model of community instead
of the small, like-minded group model? It actually seems to be working.

Betsy Martens
Big Shoulders Information Design
Chicago, Illinois
****big, brawling, dialectical melting pot****