Let's be helpful...WAS Re: [Sigia-l] web writing for kids

Listera listera at rcn.com
Tue Mar 9 04:39:34 EST 2004

"Donna Maurer" wrote:

> 1. I personally know inexperienced IAs who are too frightened to *post* to
> this list because they do not want to be told off for being ignorant

I don't recall anyone doing this at all, except for one occasion where it
was also publicly discussed.

> or not doing their research

There's absolutely nothing wrong in reminding people that before they post
to think through their problems and avail themselves to an info base already
created and waiting for access free of charge. This is good practice and
good discipline.

> 2. I personally know semi-experienced IAs who joined this list and quickly
> left because of the amount of venom and bitching and plain poor manners that
> has occurred over the last year or so.

This has been said since day one. Reminds me of the good old '50s, Golden
Age of Television, etc. As in life, the business of IA turns out to be not
all cream and sugar.

> 3. I personally know very experienced IAs, who are willing to offer their
> experience to the community, who no longer subscribe to this list or who only
> occasionally read it because of the venom and bitching and rudeness.

This been already discussed to death here and dare I say it's all in the
archives. A post from Sean Coon pretty much sums it up. To this day, some of
those people find it convenient to drop in when they need to pump up their
book, seminar, appearance, companies, etc.

> So guys, what are we going to do about it? How can we make this list more
> approachable for new people and more useful for experienced?

Here's an idea: we can let assertions from the oh-so-fragile people go
unchallenged! :-)

Ziya
Nullius in Verba