[Sigia-l] "close window" links in pop-ups

Dave Collins DCollins at phoenix-interactive.com
Wed Jun 23 16:11:53 EDT 2004

>> Look at ogilvy.com. Look in their 'Our Work' section. They open new
>> full-screen windows - no close button.
>
>How do you create a web browser window that has no close button at all?

I'll be more specific for those not following the context of the
statement:  "No explicitly-coded 'Close' link on the page."

(And just to be ornery - the *technical* answer to your question is:

It is easy to create a web browser window that has no close button at
all: Merely open IE in kiosk mode. Poof! - no controls whatsoever.) ;)
(True, that's not a user-enabled context, but that's the ornery part.)

>Not knowing how to close a window (on the OS you are running) indicates
>level of knowledge where worrying about closing pop-ups is perhaps way
down
>the list of concerns: mouse control, dragging, clicking, deleting, back
>button, drop-down menus, etc.

This is way incorrect, and a huge assumption on your part. It is quite
common for users to live healthy, productive lives, manipulating their
mouse and performing normal mechanical actions with it to operate the
programs on their computers - without encountering the particulars of
the close button in the upper right corner. It is that kind of
assumption on the part or designers/developers that leads to the
epidemic of frustration for users.

>Hint of things to come: Apple has a patent on windows that become
>increasingly translucent as they "age" (no activity). So you can pop as
many
>windows open as you like, leave them aside and, poof, they disappear.
:-)