[Sigia-l] ROI for improving search

daniela meleo danielameleo at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 21 17:03:44 EDT 2004

Hi, I've learned much from lurking on this list, so
now it's time to plunge in...

I've been asked to help a (federal government) client
with a potential project to improve search on both
their intranet and on their external sites.
"Enterprise search" is a term being much bandied
about. I'm suggesting they spend some time getting a
clear picture of the users they're serving and
identifying specific search needs before they start
getting into vendor screening etc.

One thing they're going to need to tackle is
identifying expected ROI for the project. I'm pretty
familiar with ROI claims for IA activities (inasmuch
as one can..., and with all the usual disclaimers)..

Has anyone sucessfully made the ROI case specifically
for search improvements?  Were you able to provide any
hard numbers?  Which benefits (for improving search)
did you focus on? I'd welcome any insights or advice.

Daniela Meleo
IBM Australia, BCS User Experience