[Sigia-l] Business and decision drivers - was: IA and semiotics - and standards?

gunnar gunnar at langemark.com
Thu Jun 17 16:34:39 EDT 2004

> So, while Gunnar suggests a 'fear of a future denied' as a driver
> for feature neophilia, I think that there may also be a compensatory
> neophobia about being lost amid the inner mental chaos caused by new
> features (and their arrangement in a UI).

I think you're right.
Keeping an old - perhaps not so perfect interface - may be the right choice to
make. And it is in keeping with Peircean semiotics - as a sign is a "habit" -
which is to say that the whole of the interface, and all of its parts - even
interaction flow - are signs which become habits - and maybe even conventions.

As more and more of us have a "history" as computer users, we will not be that
easily impressed by new features, and new interfaces. We will not invest the
required effort to "learn again", and so the total installed base of software
- versions etc. - will grow in diversity.
How much will this be a challenge for IAs and for corporations?
What is the answer?
Some corporations say - ONE SIZE FITS ALL! - often because they expect a
reduced cost of maintenance (which is not entirely incomprehensible .. :-))

But some of us do not accept that, and simply refuse to work for a company
which will not let you use the software of your own choice.

Which corporate policy will give the best ROI?
How do you calculate bottom line?

What should the IA say?

> Practically, how many people have worked on a project and agreed to
> keep a previous poor UI and only introduce fixes gradually? (While

I think it happens all the time. I have done it ALL the time. I may betray my
professional pride, but in a money driven world, it is not always the "best"
solution which is the "best" solution. The client may have other priorities
than those of the IA, AD, PM or UXD.....

Gunnar Langemark
gunnar at langemark.com