[Sigia-l] 90% of All Usability Testing is Useless

Donna Maurer donna at maadmob.net
Thu Jun 17 20:31:25 EDT 2004

On 17 Jun 2004 at 20:15, Dave wrote:

> The question I have is, "Is the web really all that different?"
> Wouldn't those same contextual cues be just as valuable to appliction
> design as to web design? Isn't it all really software?

The difference is not necessarily web/not web, but information/interaction, particularly
when the information set is relatively heterogeneous (not a neat set of books, products
etc).

Usability testing of informational sites is a very different thing to testing sites or
products that are primarily interactive. I teach usability testing workshops, and this
where I most often say 'it depends' and then launch into an explanation of what is
different about the two different approaches.

Donna
--
Donna Maurer
blog: http://maadmob.net/donna/blog/