[Sigia-l] The category of "Miscellaneous"

Eric Scheid eric.scheid at ironclad.net.au
Wed Jun 16 05:55:04 EDT 2004

On 16/6/04 7:16 PM, "Listera" <listera at rcn.com> wrote:

>> what about algorithmic search which heavily weighs manually crafted
>> classification and linking in it's algorithm?
>
> What about it?

Please try to keep up. Someone recently asserted:

    I have no problem at all sticking my neck out and proclaiming that
    algorithmic search will stomp manually-crafted search for the vast, vast
    majority of cases out there until the [cows] come home. It's better than
    good enough.

and I'm asking if you'd say the same about an algorithmic search which
heavily weighs manually crafted classification and linking in it's
algorithm.

Try again, this time without deleting the quoted context.

> The contest in my mind, on a slightly more abstract layer, is between manual
> labor vs. automation, the latter offering better scalability, speed,
> cost-effectiveness, maintainability, etc. To that extent, algorithmic search
> is often augmented by various forms of weighting, filtering, bias, etc., as
> Google tweaks theirs from time to time.

You're either missing the point or avoiding it: Google's algorithm relies on
the billions of man-hours which have been invested into making relevant
links.

e.