[sigia-l] Faceted browsing WAS The category of "Miscellaneous"

Donna Maurer donna at maadmob.net
Wed Jun 16 05:54:41 EDT 2004

On 16 Jun 2004 at 2:54, Jonathan Broad wrote:

> Endeca has an excellent commercial implementation of faceted
> search/browsing.  The Flamenco project headed by Marti Hearst of
> Berkeley's Info School has an open-sourced implementation of a similar
> interface.
>
> For one thing, that kind of interface eliminates the dead-ends of
> directories.  For another, it re-homes relevant structure dynamically

Having spent my day up to my elbows in faceted browsing (which also
involved creating a new page on the IAwiki:
http://iawiki.net/FacetedBrowsing), I wonder why you think that it
eliminates the dead ends.

All of the current implementations of faceted browsing I have found
purposely lead to dead ends. Faceted browsing is a filter, and a filter
is a funnel that progressively narrows the number of results down.
You browse through the facets until you find a product/page that is
interesting. Although it would be simple to use the facets to create
relationships (and eliminate dead ends by expanding the results), I
haven't seen this done at all.

So a request and a blatant plug...

If you know of sites that use faceted browsing, email me (have a look
at the page mentioned above on the IAwiki for a definition). I'll update
the wiki.

And if you are in Australia, come see me talk about faceted browsing,
the shape of information, personas and other cool things at our new
half-day seminar "Latest Thinking in Usability & IA":
http://steptwo.com.au/seminars/040729/index.html
(told you it was a blatant plug ;)

Donna

--