[Sigia-l] The category of "Miscellaneous"

Richard Wiggins richard.wiggins at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 21:07:30 EDT 2004

Define your terms carefully.   There's total searches performed, but
then there's the distribution of unique searches.

A small fraction of unique search terms accounts for a huge percentage
of all searches performed.  For many institutions, 500 searches may
account for 40% of all searches.  Google won't get those 500 top
searches "right" -- humans who understand the institution know more
than Google does.

Of course, you'd never hand-craft the one-off searches at the tail of
the curve -- that would be silly, that's why we have robots -- but
hand-crafting the top 500-1000 searches has huge payoffs.  You may
choose, of course, to stick your neck somewhere else, or to stake your
claims as you please.

/rich