[Sigia-l] RE: DMS vs CMS

O'Neill, Todd todd.oneill at usaa.com
Fri Jun 11 12:03:16 EDT 2004

>So, can anyone explain the utility of a DMS today and when one needs it
instead of a CMS?

We seem to be experiencing the converse of your situation. Our document
management efforts are getting labeled content management. As in
"everything" is content. Makes our web content management efforts, and
conversations around them, very interesting.

My personal picture is that a "content management" system manages the
building blocks for what is stored in a "document management" system. So
"content" could be textual, graphical, pictoral, multimedia, etc. And a
"document" would be the "executed' or "published" assemblage of those
building blocks.

I realize that picture falls apart when a content management system
(CMS) contains not only the building blocks but also the completely
assembled pages of a website.

I disagree with the approach that says everything is content: content
chunks; finished documents; blank forms; completed forms; etc.

To further muddy the waters, what is a Digital Asset Management (DAM)
system? What in the content/document world isn't (or can't be) digital?
Yet, DAMs are marketed freely to manage large file size assets like
video and audio.

The overall issue is that the VENDORS have defined the marketplace based
on product offerings as opposed to CUSTOMERS (you and I) defining the
marketplace based on needs. If you are working on requirements for an
RFP I would suggest you completely define your requirements and then
solicit bids from the vendors that your research says can fulfill your
needs.

Look to www.cmswatch.com or www.cmsreview.com or www.steptwo.com.au for
excellent information on vendors and requirements.

Thanks for posting this. I have been hoping to hear from IAs working on
CM.

Later!

Todd O'Neill Web Producer USAA Interaction Design and Architecture
210-913-8312 todd.oneill at usaa.com
These opinions mine not those of USAA.
"The purpose of business is to create and keep a customer." Peter
Drucker